Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spring Update

For those of you following this blog, not much work gets done on the inside of the dome in the spring and summer because we are outdoors. This spring, we are in the process of getting up a second greenhouse, and we are getting our pasture ready to rent out. A friend of ours wants to put some cow/calf pairs there. That is great with me, I love seeing the calves, but we needed to tighten up the fence and do some repairs. The fence is mostly done, so we have turned our attention to the second greenhouse. I will post some pictures soon. A friend of ours gave us the frame from one of those 'instant garages'. He had it over his hot tub. After a number of years, the tarp disintegrated. He did not want to replace the tarp, so he have us the frame. For less than $300 we bought enough greenhouse plastic to cover it. My husband is working on that now. The garden is mostly in, but it has been very cool here in central Canada. There is still a frost warning for this evening!
The good news is that my first greenhouse is warm and toasty. I have tomatoes, sweet red peppers and two types of cucumbers planted in there. I have some long green ones and some pickling ones. Once the second greenhouse is finished, my husband will return to working on the garage/shop. I keep reminding him that that is the priority for this summer.

1 Comments:

At June 11, 2009 at 6:19 AM , Blogger Ed said...

Two years ago, I heard about monolithic domes and since then, I have always wanted to build one or rather, have a shell built like you and finish the inside myself. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and descriptions of your experience. I hope to do the same sometime in the future.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home